ERT RPG

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ERT RPG

The home of the Emergency Response Team, the online text roleplaying game

Check out our site at ertrpg.net
We have moved to ertrpg.net
The move to IP.Board is HERE! The official move begins at approx 1930h GMT 25102011

+15
M. Kaizer
D. Lafferty
M. Galligano
A. Botfish
J.Floan
C. Hutchison
Bruce Beard
J.Libor
DCBurke
JessicaForsyth
T. Matthews
J. Hannahan
D.McGuire
M. Cressler
C. Davis
19 posters

emergency storys

emergency storys Empty emergency storys

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm

if you have any storys please tell
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

emergency storys Empty Re: emergency storys

Post by C. Davis Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Ok! So I'm driving home from this resturant one day a few years ago and a firetruck goes by. We follow it for some reason and it goes into this apartment complex down the road. We pull in and there's a whole apartment on fire! There are all the tower trucks and everything, it was a huge fire. Some lady kept a candle lit and it caught the drapes on fire. Pretty bad.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 pm

wow
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Ever roll up with 1 engine 10 people and three houses on fire at 1am? It took about 20 minutes for mutal aid to show up.
    D.McGuire
    D.McGuire
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D.McGuire Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm

No, but we've rolled up on, 2 ambulances, 15 fire trucks, 3 houses fully involved, 1 collapsed, and one injured firefighter. Only to find out later that the fire was intentionally set.
    J. Hannahan
    J. Hannahan
    Post Master General
    Post Master General

Post by J. Hannahan Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Kinda sad story here. (I will refer to the victim as the patient due to confidentiality issues) I was at the station in my recliner chair about to fall asleep when the tone almost gave me a heart attack. Even as soft as it was, it still sent a jolt to my system lol. It was a call of an attempted suicide and my heart was pumpin' like never before. I ran into the engine and put my jacket on since it was cold outside and we went to the block over to stage. We actually staged near the hydrant at the OIC's request and waited until the police said that we could come on scene. When I got out of the engine, I put my medical gloves on and got the stretcher out of the firemedic that was stationed with us. I brought the stretcher in front of the house and took the oxygen bottle off of it. When I went in, I seen about 4 officers near the bedroom where the patient was laying. I held the oxygen bottle in my hand but soon gave it to one of the paramedics. I helped the patient up out of the bed and we placed the patient on the couch sitting upright. As the paramedics got the patients vitals, the patients house stank so badly that I had to go outside. Shortly after goign outside, I was called back in to get a vomit bag from off of the stretcher. I got it but I never reviewed how to open it so I stood in the living acting like I knew what I was doing hoping that the patient wouldn't throw up due to wooping cough. I fiddled with that until they were ready to put the patient in the ambulance which was a short while after I got the vomit bag. I helped put the stretcher in the back of the ambulance and then took of my med gloves and threw it in the garbage. I then got into the engine and started to head back to the station. I kept quiet for half of the ride trying to dtach myself from what happened but what helped me through it is the joke a firefighter said on the way back. It made me laugh hard then I felt better. That was my expreience.
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:28 pm

D.McGuire wrote:No, but we've rolled up on, 2 ambulances, 15 fire trucks, 3 houses fully involved, 1 collapsed, and one injured firefighter. Only to find out later that the fire was intentionally set.

that one was an arson 2 actually

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:14 pm

well i actually was at home and it was really late at night and i was sleeping when i heard screaming coming from the field behind my house so i jumped up put some clothes on and called 911 and the police was on the way then i grabed my flashlight and firstaid kit the screaming countuined i ran outside and there was this female she was on the ground in the field all muddy and then i saw a truck speeding and doing donuts in the field i asked her what was wrong she said her boyfriend threw her out of the truck and that was him doing donuts she was afraid that he would come back to beat her.i sat around and gave her the helped she needed then the police arrived and i left
    J. Hannahan
    J. Hannahan
    Post Master General
    Post Master General

Post by J. Hannahan Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Hero! haha Nice job.
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:38 pm

M. Cressler wrote:Ever roll up with 1 engine 10 people and three houses on fire at 1am? It took about 20 minutes for mutal aid to show up.

haha, every show up to a fully involved barn fire with only three guys ( one being a jr. firefighter) lol
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

The back of a house 3 houses down from us caught fire a couple years ago. The fire dept just mysteriously showed up with the tower, engine, ambulance, cheif, and police. Apparently, the grill caught on fire and lit the back of the house on fire too. The neighbor was spraying it with a garden hose.
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 pm

mysteriously? isnt that their job?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:15 pm

matthews your right
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:19 pm

thanks, i wasnt sure what firefighters really did Rolling Eyes
    JessicaForsyth
    JessicaForsyth
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by JessicaForsyth Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Lol Tim LMFAO.
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 pm

JessicaForsyth wrote:Lol Tim LMFAO.

Razz, thanks lol

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Ok. My Older brother's friend passed out the previous night from drug overdose (with drugs that were...erm...illegal.) and passed out. In the morning he stumbled up the stairs to the bathroom, and started turning purple, and threw up a lot. My mom, not wanting her son to go to jail started panicking not wanting to call 911 for about 20 minutes before she finally decided to call 911. I dunno why but i was shaking like crazy waiting for the ambulance to come. Eventually it got there, after 45 minutes or so. And within 30 minutes it was on its way to the hospital.
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Antoine Blanc wrote:Ok. My Older brother's friend passed out the previous night from drug overdose (with drugs that were...erm...illegal.) and passed out. In the morning he stumbled up the stairs to the bathroom, and started turning purple, and threw up a lot. My mom, not wanting her son to go to jail started panicking not wanting to call 911 for about 20 minutes before she finally decided to call 911. I dunno why but i was shaking like crazy waiting for the ambulance to come. Eventually it got there, after 45 minutes or so. And within 30 minutes it was on its way to the hospital.

it took 45 minutes for the ambulance???

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Seemed like it, all i know is that it took FOREVER
    DCBurke
    DCBurke
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DCBurke Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

In rural locations, ambulance response times are a lot longer. In my city, if I dialed 911 and said I needed an ambulance, I'd have one in 15 minutes tops, but out of town, I could expect a 30 minute wait maybe.

If it's a volunteer ambulance squad, then it could take easily 45 minutes for a response
    D.McGuire
    D.McGuire
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D.McGuire Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 pm

DCBurke wrote:In rural locations, ambulance response times are a lot longer. In my city, if I dialed 911 and said I needed an ambulance, I'd have one in 15 minutes tops, but out of town, I could expect a 30 minute wait maybe.

If it's a volunteer ambulance squad, then it could take easily 45 minutes for a response

I've got nothing against volunteers, I respect them I appreciate them doing the job with no money in return, so nobody take offense to this, but that's exactly why I don't live in a volunteer town. Never have, never will. Response time in my town with 3 stations, all paid, is about 2 minutes, smaller fires usually get knocked down pretty fast, and for most fires, our only mutual aid is for a cover assignment at headquarters. So If I require an ambulance, or my oven is on fire, I don't want to wait in pain, or wait watching flames spread through my house for 20 minutes before a fire truck gets there with 2 guys on it. And if an ambulance is unavailable, the fire department owns 3 ambulances, and every firefighter is an EMT.
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Here, one of our two stations is staffed full time with 4 FF/PMs. That's enough for an ambulance or two, plus the quint is staffed by 4 guys. If there's a car accident (a small one), usually they'll just send out 1 ambulance and the quint with 2 guys on it. Other men will respond if needed. Oh yeah, why I said "mysteriously" I meant that I didn't even know why they were there! There was like no smoke and stuff, so I didn't know there was a fire!
    JessicaForsyth
    JessicaForsyth
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by JessicaForsyth Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

I know a vollie FD that has a faster response time than a Paid FD LMAO. Its sad
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 pm

haha, my volly dept could get you an ambulance within 10 minutes of you even dialing 911, no doubt about it, and we only have like 20 members, 8 which are " the usuals"
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:54 pm

We have a paid on call fire and paid ambulance, then the fire and ambulance based out of it. 2 ff/emts on duty respond to station, paramedic is already there. Most of the time about 10 minutes response, for severe calls about 6-7 min. Fire is about 6 min.

Bruce Beard
    Bruce Beard
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by Bruce Beard Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:56 pm

my city station responce is about 45 sec to 1 minute for fire and 1 to 2 minutes for EMS
    D.McGuire
    D.McGuire
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D.McGuire Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 pm

T. Matthews wrote:haha, my volly dept could get you an ambulance within 10 minutes of you even dialing 911, no doubt about it, and we only have like 20 members, 8 which are " the usuals"

Well what I'm saying is that that paid guys are constantly at the station, that's what they're paid to do. And with 3 stations, and a dense town, I'll have EMTs at me in no time. Weather it be an engine, the Fire-ambulance, or the towns ambulance. Any Fire/EMS emergency I or anybody else has won't be waiting much more than 2 minutes.

They say that for cardiac arrest, ever 1 minute that there is no CPR or Defibrillator use, there's a 10% higher chance that the victim won't survive.
    J.Libor
    J.Libor
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Libor Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Police will be on scene in one minute with a defib.
    D.McGuire
    D.McGuire
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D.McGuire Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Depends on the department. Towns that get covered by county police are often just a small part of the patrol area, and they may have better things to do, or just can't get there in time. (Before Fire/EMS arrives)

Look, I'm not trying to start a Paid vs. Volly argument. I respect them both, I'm just more comfortable having crews that are constantly on duty and at the station,and can be anywhere in about 2 minutes or less. Instead of having to get changed, get in their car, drive to the station (or scene), get an engine, possibly wait for more manpower, and then go to the scene. It's just my personal opinion and it's what I'm more comfortable with.

Last edited by D.McGuire on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : .)

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Quickest response time EVER
    T. Matthews
    T. Matthews
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by T. Matthews Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:23 pm

o yea mcgurie i totally agree, i believe most/ all ambulances should be paid, i mean fire depts can be volly because it is not always life or death situations, medical calls do involve life or death..and i will say sometimes we dont get a squad ( we run an ems sqaud not an ambulance) on the road for 10 minutes, but we do have an als ambulance from a neighboring district automatic mutuail assistance for us too so there is always some ems unit coming for our jobs
    C. Hutchison
    C. Hutchison
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by C. Hutchison Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm

I work for 2 volunteer departments on is all fire but does first response in KY and the other is an all EMS "volunteer fire dept." in OH. With the OH department we are surrounded on 2 sides by the City of Columbus, and the others by Blendon Township/City of Westerville. By our mutual aid agreement we are not allowed to be inservice for response unless we have atleast 2 paid Paramedics on station.

In KY we are a truely volunteer department, we are toned out with the Madison County Fire Department, (a paid department). Unfortunately, some of us cannot under stand some of the dispatchers. But we have about a third of our department is College students from EKU, where I go. Part of our run district is 3 min of campus. Most of us are EMTs and I have been able to make it to a scene in under 2 min. Well ahead of the County. To the farthest extent of the county we can be there in 10-15, while county can be there in 5-10, but County only has an Engine and Tanker, while we have the Largest Tanker in the State with 4500 gallons, and run an Engine, Tanker, and Hazmat (basically our air wagon, with hazmat equipment.) to every call. We alson run a Brush Truck and ATV for brush fires.

Last edited by C. Hutchison on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:29 pm

My dept takes a very short time for calls on the west side of US 30. East side, another station is being thought of right accross the street from my orthodontics office. Both stations are west of US 30, making calls east taking a long time.
    J.Floan
    J.Floan
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by J.Floan Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm

( Sad and posibly haunting story read with caution )

We were called to a possible traumatic injury call about 11 years ago i think ( OMG it has been a long time ) My Engine and our RA arrive and the caller was across the street and heard a baby crying. We heard the same thing but were told to stage for PD. We ( meaning my crew and I saw the patients just lying on the corner. Apparently they were new to the city and who knows just had bad luck i guess. but they were strung out and passed out. We didnt see any danger so we crossed the street. the Baby that was crying was in the process of being eaten by a possum. Well maybe not eaten but being it over and over again, so i guess you could say the possum was attempting to eat him.

the baby was a few months old i guess, so we obviously took the baby and the parents were taken into custody. again it wasa bad call just glad that something like that didnt happen every day.
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Weird...My 2 year old cousin just drowned this summer, kinda reminds me of that. Crying or Very sad
    A. Botfish
    A. Botfish
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by A. Botfish Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm so sorry! :'(
    M. Galligano
    M. Galligano
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by M. Galligano Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:40 pm

Once, during Saint Patrick's day, in 09 or 10, I was in the parade. I was in the pick up, or the squad of my department. I was the passenger. My dad was driving. The parade was over, we were retuning to the station on a cold afternoon. We have a load of people in the back as well, who are firefighters, one in gear. There were also many police units behind us. So, we were driving when all of the sudden we see smoke rising from a balcony. Now, we weren't in our district either. So, we see flames. The second I saw smoke, flames and people waving us down, I quickly realized there was a balcony on fire, burning from an electrical wire. Being the passenger, not in our district, the only thing I could do was turn on the reds. So, I flipped them on and we pulled next to the house followed by many police units. My dad gets out of the seat and walks up to the door. Now a dumb crying lady yells that there are people inside. My dad literally KICKS the door open with one foot followed by the firefighter. My dad was wearing plain clothes. My dad did a full search, nobody inside the building. I get out and watch and there are others watching as well. I hear distant sirens, and notice there are two pumpers, a ladder and an ambulance behind us from their district. So the ladder company quickly put the fire out and we left. Nothing bug or anything. This is the largest post I have ever written! Lol. The link to the picture of the vehicle I was in is here:http://www.nhfd.com/images/fleet/Squad1.jpg. I apologize for this, I am unsure of how to upload images. If anyone wants to see the building on fire, PM me and I will email it to you.
    D. Lafferty
    D. Lafferty
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D. Lafferty Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Oh, boy do I have a few.

First one took place when I was doing my clinical hours at St Joesph's ER for my EMT-B. Well, one of the trucks brought in a psyhic patient. So we get her put in a room and me and James who was a paramedic student go back to the nurses station and sit down. A few minutes later we see her trying to get up so James and myself go back and put her in bed. Once we did that we went back to the nurses station and was talking when we heard a loud thump. Well sure enough she fell out of bed and took off running for the door. James and myself jumped up and ran out the door and grabbed her and put her back in bed. Well it happened so fast I didn't have time to grab a pair of gloves (Stupid of me I know). This time she starts yelling and yell's at James if he doesn't already have kids he ain't never going to have any. And she tries to grab him . . This goes on for a couple minutes before the nurses noticed we were struggling with this patient. So another EMT-B and a male nurse came to help. At this point she was trying to kick us, I saw her swing her leg at me in the nick of time. And she tried to bite me. We finally had enough and a Paramedic came in there with restraints and we began to secure her. Easier said than done. She thought we were trying to kill her so, she was fighting with all her strength and which she was a big lady to begin with. During the restraining process she continues to try and bite me, finally the nurses call the Garland County Sheriff's deputy who is working off duty security in the ER to come help. Once he arrives he notices her try to bite me at least 3 times. He then tells her if she bites me he will shoot her. Which she is still yelling, screaming and just freaking out. In the end we get her restrained and I wash my hands very throughly in Extremely hot water for a few minutes. She turned out to be bipolar and schizophrenic.

All in all it was an intresting experience. And I would have smacked the crap out of her if she had of bit me. Don't want what disease she may have.
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I kicked in a door before I was at my moms not in the area where I'm a fireman and the neighbors house caught fire while he was gone the heater shorted out.

He was away at work and from the living room window I could see think smoke so I got up and looked out the window I could see thick smoke pouring out from just about everywhere but it was still white smoke (inside contents) it hadn't moved to the structual part so I called 911 I advised them of heavy smoke showing from a possibly inhabited structure no flames showing and dropped the phone while I was running over. I got there there were no cars in the driveway so i figured no one was home he lives alone, but I knew they had a dog so i felt the back door and I could see in there werent any flames that I could see, so i kicked in the back door...( I think i had an adrenelin rush it was impressive) but I knew I couldn't enter because I could see flames in the basement window so i knew the floor might be comprimised so I called for the dog...shrotly the fire department showed up...sadly the dog didn't make it.
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:10 pm

In Pa i've been told if your hit or attacked yoru allowd to react with the same amount of force aka if he kicks you in the nuts your allowd to kick back haha. though i dont suggest biteing back
    D. Lafferty
    D. Lafferty
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D. Lafferty Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 pm

Well at least you tried.

My, second and final day in the ER, Ambulance brought in a code. He was in a 15 foot tree with a 20 foot rope. . . yeah I was thinking the same thing. But the crew had done CPR the entire 5 minute trip to the hospital. Once he was brought in they called it. And the doctor calls me over and started having me feel differnt things (nothing perverted). And when the family came in, they thought I was someone important and wanted to know what had happened. Luckily the doctor talked to them.

Oh, heck no I wouldn't put any part of her in my mouth. lol to be honest it was fun, I wondered when I would have to fight with a patient. lol I got my answer that day.
    C. Davis
    C. Davis
    Chief of Posting
    Chief of Posting

Post by C. Davis Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Oh geez lol. Emergency story...today I was driving to my brother's guitar lesson when there was this freakin huge ambulance from the neighboring town's ambulance service! I think it might've been a mobile command center or something, cuz it was HUGE!

Another one...about a week or so ago, we were coming home from...what was it...GameStop! We were right behind the quint as it was going back to the station. Then all of a sudden, it turned on it's lights and pulled right through the intersection and turned right. We were going the same way, to the library to retuen some books. Then the quint pulled into a small motel. I was waiting in the car for my mom to come out of the library and an ambulance pulled in from the left, it was coming back from the hospital. Then another pulled in from the right. This one had it's sirens on, as it was coming from the station. Oh yeah, people are idiots! We were behind the quint and at the intersection where it turned. Behind us there was a police car trying to get through. We were pulled over and waited about maybe...15-20 seconds before the police car came past us. People kept going in front of it while it was at the intersection! The car had it's sirens, LEDs, and horn blasting all at once and people still didn't stop! Even my mom was like, "C'mon people!"
    M. Cressler
    M. Cressler
    Major Poster
    Major Poster

Post by M. Cressler Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm

I love when people ignore emergency vehicles then they'd wonder why the fire truck didn't get to there house quick enough and it burned down because A$$holes can't get out of the way.
    D. Lafferty
    D. Lafferty
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D. Lafferty Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Here ya go moon, describes what I wanted to do one day we were stuck in traffic and was going to a Chest Pains call.

M. Galligano
    M. Galligano
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by M. Galligano Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:51 pm

Wow. I'd call the cops on that bus driver. Why couldn't he move?
    D. Lafferty
    D. Lafferty
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D. Lafferty Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Due to the snow cars were parked father out in the street, but regardless he or she could have continued down to the end of the street. Especially holding them up going to a fatal fire, that's just sad.
    M. Galligano
    M. Galligano
    Master Poster
    Master Poster

Post by M. Galligano Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:02 pm

You said they were going to chest pains above the video. Wink
    D. Lafferty
    D. Lafferty
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D. Lafferty Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

No, lol we had something similiar one day on the ambulance when we were going to chest pains.
    J. Hannahan
    J. Hannahan
    Post Master General
    Post Master General

Post by J. Hannahan Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Is that the vid with the FDNY engine yelling at the bus driver lady? That should be a siren tone haha. FDNY custon made "Get the hell outta da way moron." I did hear a cop say that once haha.
    D. Lafferty
    D. Lafferty
    ERT nut
    ERT nut

Post by D. Lafferty Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Lol, yeah it should be. Makes you wonder what people think. . . . Oh yeah thats right they don't think.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:32 am